There is a lot you will need to do before you can install your wind turbine and we’ve listed these below. Apply to CARES for financial support during your preparation, if required.
- Contract with an appropriate consultant to review the potential site(s).
- If the site is leased, secure commitment or heads of terms from landlord
- Potential viability must be determined early and should include:
- discussing planning requirements with your Local Planning Officer
- a desktop assessment of wind resource and turbulence
- a desktop assessment of road and site access
- consideration of all neighbouring properties (noise and flicker)
- discussing grid connections with the Distribution Network Operator
- a desktop assessment of geology and mining, if required.
For each site, the consultant should provide a written report including:
- the extent of any Environmental Impact Assessment required
- the potential for planning objections related to radar issues
- suitability of ground, access and relationship to neighbours
- any other key risks and challenges for each site
- an estimate of project scale, costs and programme
- options in relation to a future power purchase agreement (PPA). View our webinar about PPAs on YouTube.