This page outlines the funding support that is available to get your local energy project up and running, including CARES funding available now.
The Scottish Government’s Community and Renewable Energy Scheme (CARES) offers a range of financial support to local energy projects.
How we can help
CARES is more than funding. We can help you develop your local energy project by offering:
- free, expert and impartial advice from our local development officers
- free online toolkits and project guides to help you identify what might work for you
- mobilisation support for capital projects – design review, costs and procurement support
- ongoing support with project development and delivery
- mentoring and community online discussion in our Facebook group.
Find out more
CARES funding available now
The Scottish Government’s Community and Renewable Energy Scheme (CARES) offers a range of financial support to local energy projects.CARES funding available now
CARES enablement grant
Get funding to help towards the costs of feasibility studies, community consultation and other preparatory costs. Apply at any time.CARES enablement grant
CARES capital funding
CURRENTLY CLOSED TO NEW APPLICATIONS Large grants and loans to support the installation of renewable energy, local energy, energy storage or energy system projects.CARES capital funding
Energy Investment Fund
Funding for community renewable energy projects that have successfully gained planning permission.Energy Investment Fund
Let's Do Net Zero Community Buildings guidance
This fund is now closed. If your application was successful, follow our guidance on how to keep progressing your project.Let’s Do Net Zero Community Buildings guidance