Subsidy-free wind development is high risk if costs are not minimised. You are very likely to need to meet the stated requirements due to several key challenges which we have identified below.
- Income generation without subsidy depends on high energy yields and low installation costs, preferably using existing access roads.
- Complex site access can increase delivery and civil costs significantly.
- Identifying the potential to mitigate radar issues can be very costly.
- Sensitive planning issues increase the cost of development.
- Limited local grid capacity will likely mean high connection charges.
- Neighbours must take a financial stake if noise is above set levels.
- Access to finance is critical as project funding refurbished turbines is rare.
- Excluding sites with challenges quickly, helps focus on those with potential.